Our Family

Our Family

Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Help Me Decide - Circles/Dots or Not??

I need some help making a decision (imagine that) regarding the letters in Baby L's nursery.  First a little history/back story.  I LOVE decorating the kids rooms!  We did not find out what we were having when preggo with P-Nut so of course the nursery was done gender neutral and in my favorite (had this theme planned LONG before ever meeting Jay) - Classic Pooh.  I loved the nursery and was so proud of it so of course when Buh-Buh came along it was obvious he would use the nursery and we moved P-Nut into a big girl room.  Still living in the townhouse and not wanting to put any of the kids in the basement bedroom when G-Man came along he got to share our room with us for the first year.  He never actually had a theme or a nursery (just a corner) and hence it was almost 6 years since I had been able to decorate a nursery.  So of course as soon as we moved into our new home I began to plan the new nursery (and was secretly planning it in every one of the 26 houses we looked at)!  Since I wanted a baby girl so badly and was totally convinced I was having a girl I planned accordingly.  I knew I wanted something girly but not over the top girly.  I loved the browns/tans/pinks coloring and began searching based on that.  What I was most drawn to were the retro circles and simple type of themes.  Well this was great because it meant that we didn't have to spend the $200+ for a nursery bedding set (which we could NOT have afforded) and that I could pick and choose different pieces to create exactly what I wanted.  This was also great because Jay actually agreed and liked the prints.  Something I also knew very early on was that I wanted to hang the baby's name above the crib in those oh-so-cute wood letters.  I was so excited for these letters that I actually purchased them all in February (I was not due until May) for BOTH names we had chosen.  I wanted to make sure that as soon as that baby popped out I was prepared to paint and hang her name (Hobby Lobby was very nice to take back the letters for the name not chosen).  The nursery was completely done and just awaiting the baby and the name (can you sense the build-up and anticipation?).

What I had envisioned was colored letters with either white or complementing colors circles/dots/spirals.  Well once Baby L arrived I painted the letters (in the first week of birth) and asked Jay what he thought about the circles and such.  Seeing as I could hardly wait to get them hung and patience is not one of my stronger virtues; the fact that my free-hand painting skills are weak at best; and that we had decided to paint the focal wall with stripes; Jay advised that I leave them solid.  Now I just have to add at this point that all my excitement and anticipation to have the nursery "complete" was not because we had tons of visitors and people to admire the nursery - NOPE it was for my own personal benefit.  The feeling of completion; the countless times I stood in the nursery staring at the wall admiring what we had done; and of course to take pictures and share them with family and friends who were not able to see it in person!

I was happy with what we had done until a friend (and also my favorite photographer) posted a photo of what she was doing for her daughters big girl room.  So now I am back to my personal dilemma of "circles/dots or not?".  At this point Jay is like "whatever - just do what you want" so he is no help ;)  So I am setting this to a vote.

Here is what the letters look like currently:

And here is the way I was thinking of doing them (either all white or using complementing colors on the different letters):
Now this picture was "borrowed" from Cindy Stansberry (credit where credit is due) and she did a great job - so great that I want to copy her.

It may help to see the entire wall and the bedding:

And here is the whole nursery:

Now most items in the nursery do have little dots on them but I feel that it is not overkill and that since this is the "theme" it is okay to use it throughout (but I am very open to other opinions).

Finally, for good measure here is a shot I like which includes precious Baby L in her crib:

Okay so now that you are armed with all the info - what do you think?  Circles/Dots or Not???

3 comments:

  1. Not! Polka-dots and stripes can start looking a little clownish. :) Adorable room by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What might be cute is if you found some fabric (a sheet maybe) in the same print as her blanket and then mod podge it to the letters. :) That would probably be really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have the matching sheets and they go on sale often so I could pick up another. Would you cover the entire letter?

    ReplyDelete