Our Family

Our Family

Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Crazy for Hair Accessories

When P-Nut was a baby I NEVER put anything in her hair or on her head.  This was mainly due to my mother telling me how silly it looked to have bald babies with hair bows taped to their head.  But also because I just was not into the frilly girly stuff back then.  Well after having two boys (who are PURE boy) I changed.  I suddenly found myself wearing pink (and loving it) and then became obsessed with purple.  I told Jay that if we were blessed enough to have another little girl I was going to do everything different.  I was going to put bows and flowers and headbands on her every day.  I was going to dress her up all the time and her wardrobe would look like a bottle of Pepto exploded on it.

I always looked at baby girl clothes and accessories and waited for the day that I could buy them for another one of my own.  So as soon as we found out we were expecting a baby girl I couldn't wait to start the collection.  On the way home from the ultra sound appointment I had Jay stop by a little boutique I had scoped out previously and I purchased the first hair stuff for Baby L.  Then it continued - it seemed every time I went to the store I picked up another hair bow or flower.  As you can imagine this adds up and gets expensive.

I spent hours on Etsy drooling over all the adorable headbands, bows and flowers and trying to locate the perfect one exactly how I imagined for an upcoming photo session with our amazing photographer.  I found a couple I liked but they were way more than I was willing to spend so I decided to Google (why didn't I think of this earlier) how to make hair flowers and headbands.  Wow was I surprised to discover how incredibly easy they are to make!  And of course this unleashed the inner craft junkie in me (she has been hibernating for a while) and in typical "Taryn fashion" I go a bit overboard :)

The kids were troopers as we spent a very hot day running all over town searching for all the supplies and that perfect flower.  Here is the first batch of supplies which we picked up:

Who knew that I could take simple silk flowers (the best selection from the dollar store) and turn them into this:




The girls also got customized flowers for the 4th of July.

And I even made some bow holders so they can all stay safe and be displayed on the wall.


I ordered a large batch of elastic from ebay and used needle and thread for the first time in years to make headbands to attach the flowers to.  I even successfully died my own elastic :)



And here are the supplies for our fall hair accessories so stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment