Our Family

Our Family

Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Baby Food Success

With my first two kids I didn't really consider making my own baby food for them.  Maybe because I was lazy busy or maybe it just wasn't that trendy at the time.  I did attempt it once or twice when Graham was a baby but he refused to eat it.  In hindsight I believe I did it incorrectly; but anyway they all had store bought food.  Now that Lilah Grace is starting to eat solids I have gone back and forth with whether to make it myself or purchase it from the stores.  I have done a great amount of research and talked to many moms who have made their own and decided I am up for the challenge (besides it really is the cool thing to do these days).  I have used some jar food from the store so I will likely end up doing both.

Per the direction of her GI doctor, I started her out with fruits and she loves them (and they are helping with her BMs).  I decided my first batch of baby food would be avocado because it is super easy and packed full of nutrients.  And yes it is a fruit (just in case any of you were not aware like I wasn't).


I started out with two large avocados and peeled the skin and removed the core thingy (I do not recall the correct term).  The insides are very mushy to begin with so it really did not take much effort to get it soft with a fork and then I used my hand blender to really blend it up.


I set aside enough portions for three days (as long as it is safe to keep refrigerated) and put the rest into ice cubes trays to freeze.  The kids thought this looked fun so they joined in to help.



And voila!  My first batch a huge success.  Lilah Grace loves them and I love the feeling it gives me knowing I did this myself :)


Up next....Bananas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment